An 81 year old woman has died after eating suspected poisonous grasshoppers in Ntchisi district.

Public relations officer for Ntchisi police has identified the woman as Hilda Chizimu of Kafupika village in the area of traditional authority Chilooko in the district.

Police report indicate that on Thursday 7th February Chizimu went for weeding at a nearby Soya garden with her 8 year old granddaughter and whilst there the girl hunted two grasshoppers which she roasted and ate together with the deceased.

After returning home they both started vomiting and became weak.

The grandson discovered that the grandmother had died under a tree where she was sleeping always.

Postmortem at Malomo health centre confirmed that death was due to poisoning.