Head of World Health Organization (WHO) says is “very disappointed” that China has not approved entry of team of international experts tasked with investigating origins of corona virus, as some countries grapple with increasing burden of the pandemic.

WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom told an online news conference in Geneva on Tuesday that two members of the 10-strong international team had already begun their journey to China, when it emerged that they had still not been granted entry.

He said they learned that Chinese officials had not finalised necessary permissions for the team’s arrival in China noting that WHO, China and transit countries had worked together on the arrangements.

The WHO boss said had been in contact with senior Chinese officials and again made clear that the mission is a priority for the organisation and international team.

WHO expert team – led by Peter Ben Embarek is supposed to travel to Wuhan where the first cases of corona virus were reported at the end of 2019