Police has appealed to farmers to take precautionary measures when handling pesticides to avoid poisoning.

Limbe police station has made the appeal after a farmer died because he ate rice which was contaminated with tomato pesticides.

Deputy publicist for the station Widson Nshane said the incident happed at Boti village on 4th January.

“Boti was staying with his family at Tebulo village in Traditional Authority Bvumbwe. On the fateful day he left home for gardening at the said village with a container of rice for lunch but did not return,” Nshane explained

This prompted the wife to make a follow-up on the following morning.

When she visited the place the wife was surprised to see him lying dead few metres away from the garden.

Upon receipt of the report police officers from Bvumbwe visited the place and took the body to Thyolo hospital for postmortem.

“Medical practitioners established that he died due to food poisoning. The food was contaminated with pesticides which he was applying on his tomatoes,” added Nshane

Finiyasi Edward hailed from Jekete village in Traditional Authority Mpama in Chiradzulu district.